- the hill on which the city of Jerusalem stands
- the ancient Israelites of the Bible
- the modern Jewish nation
- Israel as the national home of the Jewish people
- heaven regarded as the city of God and the final abode of his elect
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
Zi•on (zī′ən),USA pronunciation n.
- Place Names, Judaisma hill in Jerusalem, on which the Temple was built (used to symbolize the city itself, esp. as a religious or spiritual center).
- Judaismthe Jewish people.
- JudaismPalestine as the Jewish homeland and symbol of Judaism.
- heaven as the final gathering place of true believers.
- Place Namesa city in NE Illinois. 17,861.
- Hebrew, as above
- Greek (Septuagint) Seió̄n
- Late Latin (Vulgate) Siōn
- Hebrew sīyyōn; replacing Middle English, Old English Sion
- bef. 1000
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Zion /ˈzaɪən/, Sion n
'Zion' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):