- Inflections of 'Somali' (nnoun: Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc.):
- nplplural noun: Noun always used in plural form--for example, "jeans," "scissors." (All usages)
- nplplural noun: Noun always used in plural form--for example, "jeans," "scissors." (Can be used as a collective plural—e.g. "Many Somali visit this city.")
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
So•ma•li /soʊˈmɑli, sə-/USA pronunciation
n., pl. -lis, -li. Also, So•ma•li•an /soʊˈmɑliən, -ˈmɑlyən, sə-/USA pronunciation .[countable] a person born or living in Somalia.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- [uncountable] the language spoken by many of the people of Somalia.
- of or relating to Somalia.
(sō mä′lē, sə-),USA pronunciation n., pl. -lis, (esp. collectively) -li, adj. n.
- Language Varietiesa member of a Hamitic population showing an admixture of Arab, black, and other ancestry, and dwelling in Somalia and adjacent regions.
- Language Varietiesthe Cushitic language of the Somali.
- Language Varietiesof or pertaining to Somalia,its people, or their language.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Somali /səʊˈmɑːlɪ/ n
- ( pl -lis, -li) a member of a tall dark-skinned people inhabiting Somalia
- the language of this people, belonging to the Cushitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Somalia, the Somalis, or their language
'Somali' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):