WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020 Lon•don•der•ry
(lun′dən der′ē),USA pronunciation n.
- Place Namesa county in N Northern Ireland. 130,889;
804 sq. mi. (2082 sq. km).
- Place Namesits county seat: a seaport. 54,000.
- Place Namesa town in SE New Hampshire. 13,598. Also called Derry (for defs. 1, 2).
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Londonderry /ˈlʌndənˌdɛrɪ/ n
See also Derry
- a historical county of NW Northern Ireland, on the Atlantic: in 1973 replaced for administrative purposes by the districts of Coleraine, Derry, Limavady, and Magherafelt. Area: 2108 sq km (814 sq miles)
- a port in N Northern Ireland, second city of Northern Ireland: given to the City of London in 1613 to be colonized by Londoners; besieged by James II's forces (1688–89). Pop: 83 699 (2001)
'Londonderry' also found in these entries: