Inflections of 'Japanese' (nnoun: Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc.): nplplural noun: Noun always used in plural form--for example, "jeans," "scissors.": Japanese
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020 Jap•a•nese /ˌdʒæpəˈniz, -ˈnis/USA pronunciation
adj., n., pl. -nese. adj. of or relating to Japan.
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- of or relating to the language spoken in Japan.
- [countable] a person born or living in Japan.
- [uncountable] the language spoken in Japan.
( jap′ə nēz′, -nēs′),USA pronunciation adj., n., pl. -nese. adj.
- Language Varieties, Place Namesof, pertaining to, or characteristic of Japan, its people, or their language.
- Place Namesa native or inhabitant of Japan.
- Language Varietiesa person of Japanese ancestry.
- Language Varietiesthe language of Japan. Abbr.: Japn., Japn
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Japanese /ˌdʒæpəˈniːz/ adj
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Japan, its people, or their language
- ( pl -nese) a native or inhabitant of Japan or a descendant of one
- the official language of Japan: the native language of approximately 100 million people: considered by some scholars to be part of the Altaic family of languages
'Japanese' also found in these entries: