- a state of the N central US, in the Midwest: consists of rolling plains crossed by many rivers, with the Missouri forming the western border and the Mississippi the eastern. Capital: Des Moines. Pop: 2 944 062 (2003 est). Area: 144 887 sq km (55 941 sq miles)
Abbreviation: Ia., (with zip code) IA
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
I•o•wa (ī′ə wə; sometimes ī′ə wā′),USA pronunciation n., pl. -was, (esp. collectively) -wa for 3.
- Place Namesa state in the central United States: a part of the Midwest. 2,913,387;
56,290 sq. mi. (145,790 sq. km). Cap.: Des Moines. Abbr.: IA (approved esp. for use with zip code), Ia., Io.
- Place Namesa river flowing SE from N Iowa to the Mississippi River. 291 mi. (470 km) long.
- Language Varietiesa member of an American Indian people originally of Iowa, Missouri, and Minnesota but now of Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Kansas.
- Language Varietiesthe Siouan language spoken by the Iowa Indians.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Iowa /ˈaɪəʊə/ n
'Iowa' also found in these entries:
-ia - Amana Church Society - Ames - Ankeny - Bettendorf - Boone - Burlington - Cedar Falls - Cedar Rapids - Clinton - Corn Belt - Council Bluffs - Des Moines - Dubuque - Fort Dodge - Fort Madison - Glenwood - Hawkeye - Hawkeye State - Ia. - Indianola - Iowa City - Iowan - Keokuk - Marion - Marshalltown - Mason City - Muscatine - Omaha - Oskaloosa - Ottumwa - Quad Cities - Sauk - Sioux City - Urbandale - Waterloo - West Des Moines - abbreviatory - blue racer - breadbasket - bush broom - davenport - dominant - especially - io - lead - literally - native son - newton - people