- Prince of Wales. born 1948, son of Elizabeth II; heir apparent to the throne of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. He married (1981) Lady Diana Spencer; they separated in 1992 and were divorced in 1996; their son, Prince William of Wales, was born in 1982 and their second son, Prince Henry, in 1984; married (2005) Camilla Parker Bowles
- Ray real name Ray Charles Robinson. 1930–2004, US singer, pianist, and songwriter, whose work spans jazz, blues, gospel, pop, and country music
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
Charles (chärlz),USA pronunciation n.
- Biographical(Prince of Edinburgh and of Wales) born 1948, heir apparent to the throne of Great Britain (son of Elizabeth II).
- BiographicalRay (Ray Charles Robinson), born 1930, U.S. blues singer and pianist.
- Place NamesCape, a cape in E Virginia, N of the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay.
- Place Namesa river in E Massachusetts, flowing between Boston and Cambridge into the Atlantic. 47 mi. (75 km) long.
- a male given name: from a Germanic word meaning "man.''
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Charles /tʃɑːlz/ n
'Charles' also found in these entries:
Ada - Adam - Adams - Addams - Albert - Albert, d' - Allen - Andrews - Anne of Brittany - Anne of France - Arp - Australopithecus boisei - Babbage - Barkla - Barry - Basic English - Baudelaire - Bedaux system - Beebe - Bell's palsy - Benchley - Bernadotte - Berry - Best - Blair - Blanc - Bleak House - Bledisloe Cup - Blondin - Blunden - Bohlen - Bolden - Bourbon - Boyer - Boz - Bradlaugh - Breda - Brown - Browne - Buckingham - Bulfinch - Burchfield - Burney - Calvert - Canning - Carl XVI Gustaf - Carlist - Carlos - Carolean - Caroline