- the eighth month of the year, consisting of 31 days
- causing feelings of reverence:an august personage.
Au•gust /ˈɔgəst/USA pronunciation n. [proper noun]
- the eighth month of the year, containing 31 days.Abbr.: Aug.
- inspiring reverence or admiration;
of supreme dignity or grandeur;
majestic:an august performance of a religious drama.
eminent:an august personage.
- Latin augustus sacred, grand, akin to augēre to increase. See eke
Au•gust (ô′gəst),USA pronunciation n.
- the eighth month of the year, containing 31 days. Abbr.: Aug.
- a male given name, form of Augustus.
- Latin, as above
- Latin Augustus (named after Augustus); replacing Old English Agustus
- Middle English bef. 1100
- dignified or imposing
- of noble birth or high rank: an august lineage