- a large deer, Alces alces, of N Europe and Asia, having large flattened palmate antlers: also occurs in North America, where it is called a moose
- American elk ⇒
another name for wapiti
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
Amer′ican elk′,WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
Zoology, Mammalselk (def. 2).
- 1765–75, American.
elk /ɛlk/USA pronunciation n. [countable] , pl. elks, (esp. when thought of as a group) elk .WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- MammalsAlso called wapiti. a large North American deer.
- Mammalsa moose.
elk (elk),USA pronunciation n., pl. elks, (esp. collectively) elk for 1, 2.
- MammalsAlso called European elk. the moose, Alces alces.
- MammalsAlso called American elk, wapiti. a large North American deer, Cervus canadensis, the male of which has large, spreading antlers.
- Clothinga pliable leather used for sport shoes, made originally of elk hide but now of calfskin or cowhide tanned and smoked to resemble elk hide.
- (cap.) a member of a fraternal organization (Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks) that supports or contributes to various charitable causes.
- bef. 900; Middle English; Old English eolc, eolh; cognate with German Elch (Old High German el(a)ho), Latin alcēs, Greek álkē
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
elk /ɛlk/ n ( pl elks, elk)
'American elk' also found in these entries: