- Also called: Aboriginal a member of the indigenous people who were living in Australia when European settlers arrived
- any of the languages of this people
- Anthropologyone of the original or earliest known inhabitants of a country or region, esp. of Australia.
from the source or origin.
ab•o•rig•i•ne (ab′ə rij′ə nē),USA pronunciation n.
- Anthropologyone of the original or earliest known inhabitants of a country or region.
- Language Varieties, Language Varieties(cap.) Also, Aboriginal. Also called Australian Aborigine. a member of the dark-skinned people who were the earliest inhabitants of Australia.
- aborigines, the original, native fauna or flora of a region.
- Latin Aborīginēs a race of pre-Roman inhabitants of Italy, probably alteration of an earlier ethnonym by association with ab origine
- by back formation from aborigines 1540–50
- an original inhabitant of a country or region who has been there from the earliest known times