- a public examination in a subject taken for the General Certificate of Education (GCE), usually at the age of 17–18
- the course leading to this examination
- (as modifier): A-level maths
- a pass in a particular subject at A level: she has three A levels
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
A lev•el (ā′ lev′əl),USA pronunciation [Brit.]
- British Termsa public examination requiring advanced knowledge in a subject and taken at the end of secondary school, usually two years after O level.
- British Termsa pass in this examination.
- A(dvanced) level 1950–55
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
A level n (in Britain)
'A level' also found in these entries:
A2 - A2 level - AS level - Advanced level - C - O level - airfield - alkali flat - alluvial plain - amphitheater - artificial horizon - awash - bowling green - break even - crowning - deck - deep structure - dip - echelon - equalization payment - flat race - floor - footlight - gallery - grade - head - height - high - iron law of wages - lawn bowling - level - limp - low - par - peg - plain - planar - plane - price leadership - raise - reach - regulator - rising damp - road - second string - set - shim - slide - standard - standard of living