UK:*UK and possibly other pronunciationsUK and possibly other pronunciations/ˈkʌbərd/US:USA pronunciation: IPA and respellingUSA pronuncation: IPA/ˈkʌbɚd/ ,USA pronunciation: respelling(kubərd)

WordReference Collins English Usage © 2020
cupboard - wardrobe - closet
A cupboard is a piece of furniture with doors at the front and usually shelves inside.
The kitchen cupboard is stocked with tins of soup.
Cupboards in American English are built-in shelves behind doors. They are mainly found in kitchens.
She was in the kitchen, opening cupboards, moving boxes and cans to see what lay behind.
A wardrobe is a tall piece of furniture, usually in a bedroom, that has space for hanging clothes.
I hung my dress up in the wardrobe.
A wardrobe is sometimes built into the wall of a room, rather than being a separate piece of furniture. In American English, a built-in wardrobe is called a closet.
There's an iron in the closet.
'cupboard' also found in these entries:

Report an inappropriate ad.