- Inflections of 'use' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
use ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- use a [pen, pencil]
- use your [head, brain]
- [need, have] to use the [toilet, bathroom, restroom]
- use the information [against you, for my benefit]
- use the [idea, concept]
- could use your [help, assistance]
- could use some help (with)
- could use a [hand, break]
- use his [image, song] in
- [permission, the right] to use the [image]
- use [only what, as much as] you need
- please use (the) other door
- don't be afraid to use (your)
- use your [hands, feet] to
- using her [wealth, privilege, fame, status, popularity] to
- used up (all) [the olive oil, the toilet paper, their resources]
- used it (all) up
- used to [make, describe, get, create, help]
- used by [children, adults, men]
- [often, typically, normally] used by [children]
- can be used [anywhere, in many ways]
- (not) [easy, difficult, hard, intuitive] to use
- I used to [think, go]
- didn't use to be [so, as, quite as, like this]
- he used me!
- just using him for [money, affection]
n as adj
- an [adequate, appropriate] use (of)
- for [educational, personal] use (only)
- for your own use
- (is not) the [correct, wrong, intended] use (of)
- a better use of [time, money, energy]
- of no [practical, particular] use
- of no use [whatsoever, in the slightest]
- has [many, multiple] uses
- [shake, clean, wash, check] before use
- [shake] before use
- put [it, recycled items] to good use
- lost the use of [one eye, a kidney, his hand]
- make use of [the facilities, your time]
- don't have any use for this [calendar, wood, bag]
- have no use for (it)
- what's the use?
- what's the use of [trying, explaining, complaining]?
- what use is [trying, wishing]
- it is (just) no use!
- a [designer's, painter's, artist's] use of [color, form, texture]
- the [bathroom, telephone, meeting room] is in use
- a single-use [item, code]
'use' also found in these entries: