- Inflections of 'surname' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
surname ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
n as adj
- what is your surname?
- [Jones, Smith] is my surname
- write down your surname
- has taken her [partner's, husband's] surname
- a [blank, spot] for your surname
- your first name and surname
- [an interesting, an unusual, a foreign, a hyphenated] surname
- where is [your, that] surname from?
- my surname is [difficult, not easy] to pronounce
- the [students, soldiers] are called by their surnames
- the origins of your surname
- the surname is from [Germany]
- a [German] surname
- a database of surnames
- a surname directory
'surname' also found in these entries: