WordReference English Collocations © 2020
sullenⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a sullen [student, child, infant, baby, dog, cat]
- a sullen [roar, murmur, shriek, gasp]
- a sullen [roar] from the [crowd, audience, lion]
- a sullen [mood, silence] fell over the [town, crowd, stadium]
- Why are you in such a sullen mood?
- Why are you (acting) so sullen today?
- don't be so sullen!
- found him sullen and [sobbing, sulking, moaning]
- had a sullen [face, look, expression, pout]
- spoke with a sullen [tone, voice, demeanor]
- said in a sullen [voice, tone]
- a look of sullen [resentment, determination, anger]
- sullen [clouds, weather, fog, skies]