WordReference English Collocations © 2020
smugⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a smug [student, person, man, woman, player]
- made a smug [comment, reference, remark]
- had a smug look on her face
- was a smug [glint, twinkle] in his eyes
- flashed them a smug [grin, look, smile, glance]
- had a smug [expression, look, smile] (on her face)
- [a grin, the expression] on his smug face
- a [grin] of smug satisfaction
- stop being so smug!
- Why do you (always) have to be so smug?
- don't be so smug!
- stop acting (so) smug!
- is always so smug!
- you don't have to be smug about it!
- felt smug (with herself) after the [win, victory]
- felt smug about [being, having, getting]
- was feeling smug about [the interview, his chances]
- cannot afford to be smug about
- I bet you're feeling awfully smug (right now)
- [annoyingly, infuriatingly, insufferably] smug
- smug and [complacent, annoying, bigheaded, self-satisfied]
- is the smuggest person I know
- that is the smuggest thing you have ever [said, done]!
- what a smug thing to [say]!
- vulgar, slang: [that, the, you] smug [son of a bitch, bastard]
'smug' also found in these entries: