WordReference English Collocations © 2020
smokeⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- [yellow, heavy, thick, industrial] smoke
- [chimney, bonfire, fire] smoke
- [cigar, cigarette, tobacco] smoke
- [have, go for, need] a (quick) smoke
- have you got a smoke?
- am [dying, gagging, busting] for a smoke
- buy your own smokes!
- slang: can I bum a smoke (off you)?
- the [business, plan, company, economy] went up in smoke
- (can) smell smoke (coming from)
- his [car, shirt] smells like smoke
- smoke from the [flames, grill, oven, barbecue]
- there's no smoke without fire
- their [words, promises, plans] were just smoke
- he's just blowing smoke
- vulgar: are you (just) blowing smoke up my ass?
- UK: the [family, graduate] moved to the Big Smoke
- blow smoke rings
- [use, send] smoke signals
- a smoke [alarm, detector, allergy, machine]
- smoke a [cigarette, cigar, joint]
- was smoking a [cigarette]
- smokes [twenty, two packs] a day
- smokes [weed, tobacco]
- smoke too much
- do you mind if I smoke?
- I don't smoke
- too [young, ill, thirsty] to smoke
- the [house, building] is smoking
- smoked in [silence, contemplation]
- smoke a [ham, roast]
- smoke with [applewood, cedar, hickory]
- smoke and [cure, salt]
- smoke a [room, house, building] for [insects, roaches]
- smoke out a [criminal, gang]
- (try to) smoke them out
- smoked him in the [game, match, competition]
'smoke' also found in these entries:
alarm - blow - bomb - bonfire - bowl - break - breathe - cease - chimney - cigarette - cloud - coil - column - crack - curl - damage - detection - disappear - drift - enough - expel - filter - flare - float - foul - free - gauze - gray - ham - haze - hemp - install - joint - kindly - law - like - main - mind - occasionally - often - peace - pillar - pipe - plain - pot - puff - rare - ring - rise - rising