WordReference English Collocations © 2020
shameⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- was [hot, flustered] with shame
- it seems a shame to [waste, turn down]
- it was a shame to [lose, waste, miss]
- it was a shame (that) he couldn't [come, make it, play]
- what a shame you can't [come]
- brought shame on the [company, family, team, organization]
- (has) brought shame upon his [family, parents, ancestors]
- it's a shame because
- it's a real shame (that)
- that's such a shame
- shame on you!
- for shame!
- this new [computer, car, presenter] puts the old one to shame
- a deep [feeling, pang, sense] of shame
- a [man, woman, child, person, politician, crook] without shame
- do you have no shame?
- shame him [publicly, privately]
- shame him for his [acts, actions]
- shamed him for [going]
- shame him into [going, doing, making, fixing]
- shamed and [humiliated, disgraced, embarrassed]
- shamed but not [humiliated]
- shamed the [country, family]
- shamed the [whole, entire] [country]
'shame' also found in these entries: