- Inflections of 'refuse' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
refuse ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- refuse to [pay, take, give]
- refuse to [believe, admit, acknowledge] (that)
- refuse to accept the [truth, fact] that
- refuses to understand
- (have) refused to confirm or deny [reports, rumors]
- I refuse to be [blackmailed, intimidated, a victim]
- refused his [request, offer]
- refuse your [application, request]
- refuse his [advances, offer, invitation, attempts]
- an offer you can't refuse
- refuse [help, assistance]
- refuse [treatment, access, entry]
- was refused [access]
- [may, can] refuse [service, entry]
- [staunchly, stubbornly] refuse
- refuse your [mother, friends, boss]
- refuse him (entry)
- refuse or [remove, cancel, revoke, neglect, delete]
- too [good, tempting] to refuse
n as adj
- [organic, glass, chemical, liquid, food] refuse
- [collect, gather, sort, burn, filter] (the) refuse
- UK: [put, thrown out] with the refuse
- a refuse [container, sack, can]
- a refuse [site, collector, van]
'refuse' also found in these entries: