- Inflections of 'overthrow' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
overthrow ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- overthrew the [regime, government, tyrant, dictator]
- trying to overthrow the [regime]
- overthrow [apartheid, democracy]
- [attempt, try, plan, plot, conspire] to overthrow the [regime]
- an attempt to overthrow the [regime]
- was overthrown by [rebels, the opposition, a coup]
- the [power, desire, capacity] to overthrow the [regime]
- overthrew the [ball, pitch, pass]
- the [ball] was slightly overthrown by
- the overthrow of the [regime, government, ruler]
- are [plotting, planning] the overthrow of
- sports: [several, five, many] overthrows (in the game)
- sports: overthrows in the [innings, period, game]
'overthrow' also found in these entries: