WordReference English Collocations © 2020
mumⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- UK: my [friend's, neighbor's] mum
- UK: a [young, single, first-time] mum
- UK: is a mum-to-be
- UK: a crowd of school mums (at the gates)
- UK: Mum, can I go to the [cinema, shopping centre]?
- UK: Mum, can you help me with my [hair, homework]?
- UK: Mum, will you [get, buy] me a [new phone]?
- UK: but Mum said [yes, she would, it was OK]!
- UK: What does your mum [think, say]?
- UK: my mum won't let me [play, go out]
- UK: Mum says we have to [tidy up, do the dishes]
- UK: that's what my mum always [said, told me]
- UK: I [love, can't stand] Mum's cooking!
- UK: [keeps, has, carries] a photo of his mum
- informal: mum's the word!
- UK: [told, asked] her to keep mum about (the news)
- UK: kept their [marriage, plans, pregnancy] mum
- UK: kept it mum from the [family, office, school]
- UK: remain mum on the patient's [condition, progress]
'mum' also found in these entries: