WordReference English Collocations © 2020
miseryⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a [life, decade, generation] of misery
- [abject, complete, total] misery
- [home, job, family] miseries
- is in (a state of) misery
- help her (get) out of her misery
- the misery of [poverty, loneliness, homelessness]
- the [family, population, town] was plunged into misery (when)
- misery inflicted on
- misery [caused, suffered, endured] by
- caused misery for [thousands]
- brought misery to [thousands]
- plunged into [financial, economic] misery
- felt (total) misery after the [defeat, loss, rejection]
- [had, experienced] the misery of [defeat]
- were left to their misery (by)
- he's an absolute misery [today, this morning]!
- the misery is [fading, dying] (away)
- [put an end to, take the edge off] their misery
- put the [captive, dying soldier, injured deer] out of its misery
- informal: please, put me out of my misery!
'misery' also found in these entries: