- Inflections of 'louse' (nnoun: Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc.):
- nplplural noun: Noun always used in plural form--for example, "jeans," "scissors." (When talking about a person)
- nplplural noun: Noun always used in plural form--for example, "jeans," "scissors." (All other usages)
- Inflections of 'louse' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
louse ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- [has, suffered from] head lice
- an [invasion, infestation] of lice
- [check, look for] lice
- thousands of bed lice
- all [students, children] are checked for lice
- [kill, exterminate, get rid of] the lice
- infested with [sea, fish] lice
- is a common [head, plant] louse
- a [bird, biting] louse
- informal: a (despicable, cheating, undeserving) louse
- informal: (despicable, cheating, undeserving) louses
- loused up the [penalty, chance, opportunity]
- louse the [penalty] up
- loused it (all) up
- [always, forever, keeps on] lousing it up