WordReference English Collocations © 2020
lieⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- told a (small) white lie
- was just a white lie
- a [huge, massive] lie
- is (just) a big fat lie
- that's a damn lie!
- have never told a lie
- told a lie about [my grades, the results]
- told a lie at [the interview, work]
- told a lie to my [parents, boss, professor]
- told my parents a lie
- why did you tell me a lie!?
- what other lies have you told me?
- stop telling (me) lies
- don't tell lies
- is [always, forever] telling lies
- that's a lie!
- that has to be a lie!
- is just a pack of lies
- it was all lies!
- had been living a lie
- was a lie of omission
- UK: the lie of the land
- golf: the ball was in [good, bad, rough] lie
- UK: go [for, and have] a lie-down
- use a lie detector
- a lie detector test
- lie about your [name, job, age]
- lied to her [parents, friends]
- lie to the [press, police]
- lie on your [resume, application]
- lie and [cheat, deceive]
- lie [regularly, often, pathologically]
- lie your way out of trouble
- I [can't, cannot] lie
- [could, would, will] not lie (to you)
- how dare you lie (to me)
- lie down
- lay down and [went to sleep, fell asleep]
- (came and) lay down next to me
- lie on the [bed, sofa, couch]
- lying [on the, in] bed
- UK: lie in on [Sunday mornings, Saturdays, the weekend]
- archaic: lie with [a man, another woman]
'lie' also found in these entries:
England - absolute - ahead - allegiance - awake - bald - bench - beneath - blatant - color - data - dispose - dog - harmless - hate - like - lone - lush - make - manufacture - motive - nature - outright - pure - replenish - root - savvy - scheme - shade - simply - sleeping - sod - still - supposedly - surely - tangle - tell - tree - weave - would