WordReference English Collocations © 2020
jarⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a [glass, jam, rice, flour, spice, storage] jar
- a [half, 1] -liter jar
- [an 8] -ounce jar
- a jar of [spaghetti sauce, mustard, jam, mayo]
- use a jar to [keep, store]
- [kept, carried] butterflies in a jar
- can't get the lid off the jar
- Can you help me open this jar?
- put a [dollar, quarter] in the swear jar
- a jar full of [spices, sauce]
- UK: a (sudden) jar of the [arm, leg, back]
- comes as a jar to our [belief, hope, vision]
- UK: (the car) [stopped, halted] with a jar
- UK, slang: her husband has hit the jar (again)
- UK, slang: Do you fancy a jar (after work)?
- UK: wears jam-jar glasses
'jar' also found in these entries:
Polish - blender - cap - cherry - cinnamon - coffee - contain - cookie - cover - cranberry - cucumber - glitter - glue - instant - jam - kettle - lever - lid - mouth - mustard - open - parsley - pepper - pickle - pour - raid - relish - rosemary - scoop - sealed - stick - sugar - sweet - thrust - travel