- Inflections of 'initiate' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
initiate ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- initiate the [landing, descent]
- initiate [reforms, changes]
- initiate [sweeping, major, drastic, far-reaching] [reforms]
- the [company, council, government] has initiated [reforms]
- initiate an [appeal, inquiry, investigation]
- the [attorney, lawyer, government, plaintiff] initiated an [appeal]
- initiate [contact, talks, negotiations]
- initiate [proceedings, legal action, efforts]
- initiated her into [diving, programming, directing]
- initiated her into the [club, organization, group]
- initiate new [members, alumni, students]
- initiated into the [mysteries, secrets] of
- a [cult, club] initiate
- an initiate of the [cult]
- the new initiates
- new initiates are subjected to (a test)
- new initiates pledge their allegiance
'initiate' also found in these entries: