WordReference English Collocations © 2020
idleⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- left the [car, engine] running idle
- has been idle for [one hour]
- the [system, program, application] has been idle for
- don't be (too) idle at [work, the office]
- was fired for being too idle
- was (just) standing around idle (while)
- cannot just sit idle and watch (while)
- trying not to be idle in (my) retirement
- idle and useless
- UK: is a bone-idle [student, man, boy, person, husband]
- How do you spend your idle time?
- What do you do during your idle time?
- while away (the) idle [hours, time]
- during idle hours
- full of idle [thoughts, musings]
- their threats are [merely, simply] idle
- is [just, merely, only] idle speculation
- no time for idle [chit chat, small talk]
- is (not) just an idle fear
- the factory has [been, remained] idle for [years]
'idle' also found in these entries: