WordReference English Collocations © 2020
howlⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- heard a [wolf's, dog's] howl
- the howl [cut through, pierced] the night
- could hear a howl in the distance
- the howl made me [nervous, afraid]
- could hear howls all around us
- howls from the [forest, trees, bushes]
- where did that howl come from?
- the howl came from [behind the bush, over there]
- in a howl of [pain, rage, protest]
- let out a howl of [pain]
- a [piercing, deafening, long] howl (of pain)
- heard the howl of the [gale, wind]
'howling' also found in these entries: