WordReference English Collocations © 2020
engineⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a [diesel, hybrid, gasoline, combustion, steam] engine
- a [car, motorcycle, plane, boat] engine
- the [car's] engine
- a [two] -stroke engine
- a [1.6] -liter engine
- a  -horsepower engine
- a  -cc engine
- how big is [its] engine?
- how big of an engine does [it] have?
- what size engine does [it] have?
- a [smooth, reliable, faulty, dead] engine
- think you flooded the engine
- [start, jump-start, kick-start, rev] the engine
- [repair, fix, restore, rebuild, inspect] the engine
- the engine [broke down, stopped working, blew, died, stalled]
- one of the engines is [down, broken]
- keep the engine [running, going]
- could hear the [roar, purr, hum] of the engine
- the engine was [roaring]
- [drive, pull over for, watch out for] the fire engine
- is the [main, leading, default] search engine
- use a search engine to [find, get, locate, compare]
- the engine [size, capacity, horsepower]
- [change, fill, check] the engine oil
- search engine [marketing, presence, optimization]
- [high, low, featured] in search engine listings
'engine' also found in these entries:
aircraft - airplane - better - blown - boiler - break - burned out - cart - catalyst - choke - coal - coil - component - contact - cough - crank - damper - diagram - die - drone - failure - faulty - fire - flood - frost - gas - gasket - grease - grind - grinding - growl - gum - gun - idle - inlet - internal - invent - jerk - jet - juice - kill - knock - labor - lap - leak - monkey - muffler - noise - oil - overhaul