- Inflections of 'elaborate' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
elaborate ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- an elaborate [scheme, plan] to
- the [scheme] is getting (too) elaborate
- an elaborate [drawing, painting]
- elaborate [patterns, designs]
- elaborate (party) decorations
- elaborate and [expensive, detailed, complex]
- an elaborate system of [roads, canals, cables]
- is very elaborate-looking
- looks very elaborate
- be more elaborate with your [answer, description, explanation, writing]
- an over-elaborate [answer]
- [should, need to, ought to] be more elaborate
- elaborate on [an idea, the answer, your opinion]
- he didn't elaborate
- could you (please) elaborate (further)?
- would you care to elaborate?
- without elaborating too much on
'elaborate' also found in these entries: