- Inflections of 'difference' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
difference ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a [drastic, slight, big, huge] difference
- is an important difference to [make, point out, be aware of]
- is a time difference of [five hours] (between)
- a score difference of [three points]
- a price difference of [$7] (at, for)
- [they have, there is] an age difference of [five] years (between)
- would make a big difference if you [helped, stopped, went]
- makes a world of difference
- [found, located, discovered] a difference in
- [calculate, measure, work out] the difference
- a difference [in, of] opinion
- is [no, the only] difference between them
- a difference in [shape, temperature]
- makes no difference (to me) [what, when, where, why, how]
- made no difference what I [said, did, suggested]
- doesn't make the [slightest, tiniest] (bit of) difference
- a difference of [three]
- what's the difference?
- there is no difference (in my eyes)!
- [let's, willing to] split the difference
- the difference is [unassailable, insurmountable, too great]
- our differences make us [special, interesting, unique]
- was [teased, made fun of] for his differences
- we've had our differences
- the [couple, friends] settled their differences
'difference' also found in these entries: