WordReference English Collocations © 2020
coughⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a [throaty, dry, nasty, loud, slight, persistent, nervous] cough
- (just) can't get rid of this cough
- UK: [a bout, an attack] of the coughs
- let out a [little, slight] cough
- The [engine, gun, contraption] gave out a little cough.
- has (a) smoker's cough
- [treat, relieve, get rid of] a cough
- My cough has gotten [serious, worse, worrisome].
- cough up [blood, phlegm]
- start to cough
- cough [awkwardly, uncontrollably, violently, quietly]
- cough up [the cash, the money, $50] (to pay for)
- cough up for a new [house, car, TV]
- cough [syrup, medicine, lozenges, drops, relief]
'cough' also found in these entries: