- Inflections of 'compassionate' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
compassionate ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- is a compassionate [mother, nurse, person, man]
- is compassionate toward [others, children, animals]
- be compassionate with [yourself, others]
- try to be (more) compassionate!
- compassionate and [caring, understanding, responsible, loving]
- received compassionate [care, treatment, service]
- has a compassionate heart
- in a compassionate manner
- [sent, wrote] a compassionate [mail, letter] to
- make a compassionate plea for [clues, help, money, donations, support]
- was [given, granted] compassionate leave
'compassionate' also found in these entries: