WordReference English Collocations © 2020
compassⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- [observe, check, go by] the compass
- use a compass to [find, locate, navigate, determine]
- found their [bearings, location] with a compass
- [was, felt] lost without a compass
- [took, packed] a compass for [camping, the trek, the excursion]
- The compass pointed [north, southwest].
- use a compass in [math, geography] class
- use a compass to draw circles
- was [pinched, stabbed] with a compass
- the compass of the [novel, plot, outline]
- follow your moral compass
- lost his moral compass
- Do you even have a moral compass?
- the [narrow, wide] compass of the [river, strait]
- the [investigation, research] has a broad compass
- within a compass of [one mile, ten blocks]
- within the compass of [respectability, propriety, professionalism]
- the [north, south, east, west] compass points
- compass [direction, orientation, bearings]
- a compass rose
'compass' also found in these entries: