WordReference English Collocations © 2020
cleverⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a clever [person, student, businessman, dog, child]
- it was (very) clever to [use, put, have, be]
- was a clever way to [use]
- a clever [use, method] for
- a clever [plan, thought, strategy, solution, idea, way]
- is a clever [idea, plot, song]
- what a clever [idea]!
- is such a clever [girl, boy]!
- you clever [girl, thing]!
- is so clever!
- I suppose you think [that was, you're] clever?
- how clever of you!
- that wasn't very clever (of him), was it?
- he's not the cleverest [man, boy, student]
- clever enough to [plan, win, succeed, devise, find, think]
- was very clever with his [hands, feet]
- UK: it's not big or clever
- [very, terribly, awfully, really] clever
- UK: is (so) clever-clever
- slang, UK: is [a real, such a] clever [clogs, dick]
'clever' also found in these entries: