WordReference English Collocations © 2020
championⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- the [American, world, Olympic] champion
- the [reigning, defending, outgoing, new] champion
- the world champion of [Formula 1, tennis, chess]
- are the champions of the world
- The champion was [defeated, outclassed, outplayed].
- The champion [beat, defeated, fought] the challenger.
- has been the champion [since 2010, for 3 years]
- has been [declared, named, announced] (world) champion
- has always been a champion of the [poor, cause]
- a champion for [free speech, animal rights]
- champion [a cause, the measure, his policy, the decision]
- champion the [rights, efforts, initiatives] of
- champion the cause of [freedom, liberty, democracy]
- champion [social, environmental, health] causes
- champion [human, animal] rights
- champion for the [weak, poor]
- championed by the [president, minister, public, press]
- championed for [years, decades, generations]
- is a champion [athlete, player, team, writer, artist]
- is the [world, European] champion athlete
- UK: what a champion [idea, breakfast]!
'champion' also found in these entries:
France - arrival - beating - become - box - but - candle - chess - clay - crown - current - dart - declare - defend - empowerment - face - fearless - fencing - fight - fighter - floor - former - hail - humble - junior - kite - league - match - multiple - n - official - pair - perch - proud - rally - reign - rider - ring - round - salute - six - skeleton - ski - stallion - take - tennis - tournament - upset - weight - wrestle