WordReference English Collocations © 2020
catⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a [white, calico, Maine Coon, jungle, African] cat
- [a stray, a feral, an alley, a domestic] cat
- (is) the [largest, fastest] of the big cats
- the [jaguar, panther] is a big cat
- saw a black cat
- take your cat to the vet
- [pet, feed, pick up] the cat
- let the cat [out, in]
- the cat meowed for [food, attention]
- the cat [scratched, meowed, hissed] at
- the cat [meowed, hissed]
- was [scratched, bitten] by a cat
- can we get a cat?
- want (to get) a cat
- did you (remember to) feed the cat?
- the cat was [cleaning, preening, licking] itself
- like a cat in heat
- who let the cat out of the bag?
- curiosity killed the cat
- is the cat's meow
- is a cat's paw for
- he's such a [cool, scaredy] cat!
- slang: [cool, underground, great] jazz cats
- UK: cat's eyes in the road
- cat [toys, treats, litter, food]
- a cat [bed, tree, flap, door]
- play cat's cradle
- a cat's eye marble
- slang: a crazy cat lady
- [big, domestic] cat species
- is a cat burglar
- cat around all day
- cat around with the [women, ladies, girls]
- catting with other [women]
- obscure: cat the anchor
'cat' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):
C - alley - anyway - armchair - astray - bag - ball - barn - bell - board - bone - box - bristle - brush - cable - canned - care - catch - charm - chase - cheetah - claw - cleaner - climb - clip - coax - collar - collection - companion - crap - creep - dangle - dog - doodle - excited - family - feeding - female - fiddle - fidget - flea - food - friendly - front - fur - gate - ginger - groom - hag - hair