- Inflections of 'candidate' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
candidate ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- an unlikely candidate
- the leading candidate
- was nominated the [Democratic, Republican] candidate
- candidate for [mayor, president, governor]
- is [running, in the race] as a candidate for (the Democrats)
- the candidate of choice
- the candidate with the [best qualifications, most experience]
- the candidate's track record
- the candidate's [stance, position] on...
- is my favorite candidate
- the candidates [debated, discussed, argued]
- the candidate's campaign (manager)
- the candidate who [possesses, has, shows, demonstrates]
- the candidate must [possess]
- all candidates must [send, submit] their CV to
- candidates applying for the [job, position]
- successful candidates will be contacted [by, before]
- the [best, most qualified] candidate for the job
- interviewing job candidates
- would be the ideal candidate
- the electoral candidates
- the [agency, company] is screening candidates
'candidate' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):