WordReference English Collocations © 2020
boomⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- heard a [loud, sudden, startling] boom
- There was a [loud] boom.
- startled by a [loud] boom
- A boom of thunder rolled across the sky.
- jumped at the sound of the boom
- jumped at the boom of
- the booms of the [fireworks, grenades, explosions]
- The [fireworks] made a large boom.
- a boom from [outside, the basement]
- What was that boom from?
- ...", he said with a boom. boom n the cycle of boom and bust boom n stuck in a cycle of boom and bust boom n an [economic, Internet, dotcom] boom boom n The crane has a 150-foot long boom. boom n [lower, raise, control] the boom boom n [stretch, ins
- the [music, sound] boomed (out of the speakers)
- could hear the [music] booming (out)
- his voice boomed with [anger, frustration]
- ["…,"] he boomed
- a boom time for the [sector, industry]
- the boom years of [prosperity, opportunity]
'boom' also found in these entries: