WordReference English Collocations © 2020
blackoutⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- The [city, town, building] experienced a blackout.
- The [city] is experiencing a blackout.
- are in the middle of a blackout
- a blackout caused by [the storm, a downed line, overconsumption]
- blackouts are common in
- are trying to [fix, repair] the blackout
- What caused the blackout?
- a blackout during the war
- an all- [day, night] blackout
- suffered a blackout after the [fight, accident, crash, hit]
- The blackout lasted [several hours, all day].
- issued a [media, news] blackout
- there was a blackout in the media about
- [draw, close] the blackout curtains
- during a blackout period
- experiences [many, frequent] blackout periods
'blackout' also found in these entries: