WordReference English Collocations © 2020
ashⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- turned to ash in the [blast, fire, explosion]
- was covered in ash from the [blast]
- was covered in ash after the [blast]
- was reduced to ash from the [blast]
- was reduced to ashes from the [blast]
- Only ash was left after the [blast].
- [coal, volcanic] ash (from)
- [exploded, burst] into a cloud of ash
- The ash filled the air.
- was coughing from (all of) the ash
- was [choking, suffocating] on ash
- the ash was [smoldering, burning] in
- The volcano was [spewing, belching] ash.
- scattered her ashes over the [ground, sea]
- spread his ashes over the [ground]
- Her ashes are in an urn.
- keep her ashes in an urn
- flicked her cigarette ashes onto the [tray, table, ground]
- The [tray] was full of cigarette ashes.
- the ashes from her cigarette
- Her [hair, dress] is the color of ash.
- in an a forest of ash
- The [table, desk, chair, house] is made of ash.
- the ashes of [their love, her past glory]
- religion: Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
- cricket: England [won, lost] the Ashes
- ash-tinged [hair, hills, clothes]
'ash' also found in these entries: