WordReference English Collocations © 2020
answerⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- the [correct, right, incorrect, wrong] answer
- [different, perfect, unexpected] answers
- (don't) know the answer
- don't have an answer [for you, yet]
- has the answer to everything
- thinks she always has the answer
- am waiting for your answer
- [need, want, give me] your answer by (tomorrow)
- was (not) a helpful answer
- was not the answer I was [expecting, waiting for]
- was not the answer I wanted to hear
- was hoping for a better answer
- so, what is your answer?
- that's the closest answer [yet, so far]
- there's no answer to that [shot, comment]!
- the [presenter, guest, senator] had no answer to (the comment)
- your answer was [close, almost right]
- sometimes the [simplest, most obvious] answer is the [best, right, correct] one
- the answer to the question, "[What, Who, How]…?"
- in answer to your [previous, earlier] question
- an answer to the nearest [thousand, hundred]
- questions and answers
- [Japan's, the Japanese] answer to [blueberry pie]
- answer [me, the question]!
- answer questions (about)
- the [doctor, lawyer, consultant] answered his questions
- [tried, failed, unable] to answer their questions
- [try, attempt] to answer [all the questions, to the best of your knowledge]
- answer yes or no
- answer [quickly, confidently, simply, honestly]
- answer in your own words
- answer (it) [correctly, incorrectly]
- (I'm afraid) I can't answer that
- ["yes,"] he answered
- answered with another question
- answering [for him, on his behalf]
- answer [a call, the telephone, the phone]
- nobody's answering
- answer [her text, an email, your letter]
- answer their [attempt, attack, provocation] with
- my prayers were answered (when)
- answers to the name of
- answers to [nobody, the boss, the director]
- UK: don't answer back!
- UK: [he, her son, the child] is always answering back
'answer' also found in these entries:
ASAP - absolutely - accepted - accurate - additional - age - air - alternate - apparently - appropriate - attorney - baked - bewildered - beyond - black - blank - blunder - brain - brief - bullshit - buzz - call - calling - care - chance - check - cheeky - chew - childish - circle - closer - cloud - compel - confuse - confusing - considered - constrained - content - contestant - cool - correct - count - coy - craft - crisp - crude - cunning - damned - dark - dawn