WordReference English Collocations © 2020
anchorⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- drop anchor [close to shore, offshore]
- a [heavy, rusty, ship] anchor
- the [ship's, boat's] anchor
- a [climbing, mountaineering] anchor
- The anchor is [down, up].
- The [ship] is at anchor (in the harbor).
- The [ship, barge] put its anchor [down].
- put an anchor in the wall to hold the [mirror, picture]
- is an anchor at the [mall, shopping strip]
- is a news anchor (at)
- works as a news anchor
- was our (emotional) anchor in times of [hardship, stress]
- an anchor of stability against [social unrest, financial problems]
- an [economic, political, long-time] anchor for the [country, region, continent]
- the anchor [store, business, tenant]
- contained in the anchor text
- using anchor links
- use anchor bolts (to)
- [cut, store, drop] the anchor chain
- needs [three] anchor points
- secure the anchor points
- an anchor [charm, pendant, tattoo, shape]
'anchor' also found in these entries: