- Inflections of 'alternate' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
alternate ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- take an alternate route to [work, school]
- [find, look for] alternate [means, forms, methods]
- alternate [meanings, spellings] of the [word, phrase]
- live in an alternate reality
- from an alternate universe
- is an alternate [version, edition] of
- [published, released] under an alternate [name, title]
- click below for an alternate [link, source]
- alternate periods of [sun and rain, clear skies and clouds]
- [works, has class, studies] on alternate days
- [read, answer] only the alternate questions
- [has, is made of] alternate layers of [chocolate and vanilla]
- will be my alternate while I am away
- It is a good idea to have an alternate.
- [decide on, choose, appoint] an alternate
- [decided on] her as his alternate
- She served as his alternate at the [meeting, conference].
- He served as her alternate while she was [sick, in the hospital].
- sent his alternate to the [hearing, meeting]
- is [studying, preparing] to be her alternate
- will be naming an alternate (soon)
- alternate between [one] and [another]
- periods of [peace, growth, progress] alternate with periods of [violence, decline, stagnation]
- by alternating [one] with [another]
'alternate' also found in these entries: