- Inflections of 'advocate' (v): (⇒ conjugate)
- v 3rd person singular
- v pres pverb, present participle: -ing verb used descriptively or to form progressive verb--for example, "a singing bird," "It is singing."
- v pastverb, past simple: Past tense--for example, "He saw the man." "She laughed."
- v past pverb, past participle: Verb form used descriptively or to form verbs--for example, "the locked door," "The door has been locked."
WordReference English Collocations © 2020
advocate ⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- advocate for [the public, women, the community]
- advocate [on her behalf, on behalf of]
- advocate to [ensure, improve, assist, make, help]
- advocate to [reduce, increase, prevent]
- advocating [in court, at trial]
- advocating in [favor, support] of
- advocated (against) [violence, change]
- advocate the [use, purchase, introduction] of
- advocate the [need, lack] of
- advocate the [establishment, creation, development] of
- advocate an [end, solution, alternative] (to)
- [we, I] do not advocate the [use, introduction] of
- do not advocate [doing, taking, making, going]
- advocating and [promoting, lobbying, supporting, preserving]
- advocated [higher salaries, better conditions, greater choice]
- advocated by [many, some, the president]
- a [consumer, women's, community] advocate
- a [tireless, passionate] advocate for
- a court-appointed advocate
- need a legal advocate
- play (the) devil's advocate
- is an advocate for [children, change, high taxation, women's rights, the homeless]
- has always been a (strong) advocate for
'advocate' also found in these entries: