WordReference English Collocations © 2020
absenceⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- in the absence of all [competition, opposition]
- will be the [director, president] in her absence
- [teaching the class, leading the department] in his absence
- In his absence, she will [be, act as] the [director].
- The [office, business] (is) closed in his absence.
- What will we do in her absence?
- the absence of all [common sense, emotion]
- there is an absence of [proof, evidence] (that)
- in the absence of all [light, air]
- after her death, her absence was felt (by)
- never (really) [felt, noticed] his absence
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- had another absence (from school)
- has [five] absences (from school)
- have too many absences (from school)
- will fail if you have [one] more absence
- has had [three] absences over [two weeks]
- a [preapproved, prearranged, preexcused] absence from [work, school]
- Any absence must be [justified].
- Your absence is excused.
- Her absence has been noted.
- Their absence is [excusable, inexcusable].
- an absence without [pay, leave, approval]
- the [reason, justification] for the absence
'absence' also found in these entries: